House Packing Tips
Packing is never a simple task. We often come across customers who are ill-prepared, have left packing too late and have had to cut corners to get everything ready before we turn up for the move. Poor packing is the number 1 cause of damages in transit and also the number 1 reason why transit insurance companies decline claims for damages. After having packed and moved thousands of homes over the last 8 years, here are out top packing tips:
- Invest in sturdy, professional grade and suitable packing materials. There is a common misconception that all you need to pack are banana boxes and tape. This could not be further from the truth. Sturdy boxes, bubble wrap, corrugated cardboard rolls, acid-free wrapping paper, shrink wrap and mattress covers are all worth their weight in gold and are inexpensive compared to repair or replacement cost for your valued contents. Speak to our packing experts on 0800 086 683 to discuss packing materials which you can order through us. We can also deliver your packing materials within Auckland (fees apply) and can recommend the right materials to suit your needs.
- Always have a priority box with keys, remote controls, cables, Wifi modems, unopened mail, a roll of toilet paper( Yes you read right!), kids activities, medication and first aid kit. You’ll need to carry these with you in your vehicle so you know exactly where it is at all times. Keep screw, bolts and nuts in sandwich bags with labels in this box, with allen keys and tools needed to re-assemble your furniture.
- Label all rooms and all boxes with brief description of contents. These WILL reduce your stress when unpacking and trying to locate things in your new home. Our professional, expert and friendly moving team will place all boxes in corresponding rooms to make it easier for your to unpack.
- Mark boxes as fragile and top-stack where appropriate, do not over-fill and place heavier items first with lighter ones on top.
- Dont stress about disassembling and re-assembling furniture or uninstalling and reinstalling white wear. Our moving team can give you a hand and sort this out in minutes.
- Keep an eye on weather conditions. Request our shrink wrapping service to protect couches and furniture from the rain and order mattress covers well in advance. These are single use due to hygiene reason which is why we don’t carry them as standard.
- We recommend unpacking your drawers if its flat-pack/MDF furniture or antique. Whilst its ok to keep drawers full for solid wood drawers, it does help the lighten the load. Filing cabinets should always be emptied out (unless they are anti-jam) as jams caused during the move can be a nightmare to sort out.
- We do not carry gas bottles, fuel, paint, corrosive chemicals and car batteries as these are Dangerous Goods. Please make alternative arrangements for these.
- If you have expensive wooden furniture and antiques, talk to us beforehand about our corrugated cardboard wrapping service. Our movers can easily do this before moving and this adds an extra layer of protection to the standard blankets which we ALWAYS use.
- Always wrap television, artwork and paintings in 2-3 layers of protective material. If this is too much for you, talk to our moving consultants on 0800 086 683 and we can organise our expert house packers to get this done. We use the highest grade materials can can have up to 5 layers of wrapping materials to cover valuables such as paintings and artwork.
We hope these tips will make your house pack a little easier. Give yourself enough time and start packing early. Things such as books, toys and old clothes can be packed well in advance so have a packing plan and schedule in place.Google+